Poached Pear Gingerbread Cake
This divine vegan and gluten-free cake which is combined with the warming spices of gingerbread with the elegance of sunken poached pears… Thank you for the tag Sunnybrooke Health Store!
Recipe is below, ENJOY!
- 3 small or 2 medium pears, firm but ripe
- 2 strips of lemon peel
- 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons pure Absolute Organic Maple Syrup
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup Inside Out Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Melrose Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup Billingtons Natural Light Muscavado Sugar
- 1/3 cup Red Seal Gluten Free Blackstrap Molasses
- 1/3 cup melted Loving Earth Raw Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Equagold Pacific Tahitian Variety Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or Orgran Gluten Free All Purpose Plain Flour
- 1 tablespoon Organic Times Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Gourmet Organic Herbs Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Gourmet Organic Herbs Organic Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoons Salt of the Earth Hand Harvested Fine Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Organic Times Organic Icing Sugar
- Juice of 1 medium orange
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and line a standard 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Peel the pears but leave the stalks attached. Slice the bottom off of each pear so they can stand upright with falling over.
- In a large saucepan, add the lemon peel, fresh ginger, and maple syrup. Place the peeled pears in the pan so they stand upright and then add 3 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for 6-8 minutes, until the pears are just starting to soften. Carefully pick up the pears by the stem and set aside.
- Mix together Inside Out Almond Milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir and set aside for 5 minutes until it is slightly curdled.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, brown sugar, molasses, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and the almond milk mixture until smooth and well incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and sea salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and beat with an electric mixture on low speed until the batter is just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Gently submerge the poached pears into the batter so that they are standing upright in the pan, surrounded by the batter.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, then cover the cake pan lightly with aluminium foil and bake another 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick in the centre comes out clean. Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool for a bit, then drizzle with the Orange Icing and serve warm.
- Add the powdered sugar to a medium bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the orange juice, whisking until smooth. Add more juice as needed until you have a smooth and thick but pourable icing.
Thank you for the tag Sunny Brooke Health Store! Please make sure to check out her Instagram @sunnybrookehealthstore for more recipes!